Sunday, February 22, 2009

Being a part of the Community

I've written much about how great the Sarasota community is and how wonderful it is to live here. When you live in such a special place, you find yourself looking for a way to give back. I find that people in our community are very generous of both their finances and their time. As people become established in our community, they gravitate to one of the many non-profits in our area, from the hospital to the opera and everything in between.

One of my personal passions is my work with Southeastern Guide Dogs. The school's mission is to create and nurture a partnership between a visually impaired individual and a guide dog, facilitating life's journey with mobility, independence and dignity. My wife Alisa and I have raised four guide dog puppies over the years (we now raise our two little boys); I now serve as a board member of the organization which his located right here in Sarasota. In fact, it's the only guide dog school in the southeast US, with more than 800 active guide dog teams and 70 new teams added annually.

Southeastern Guide Dogs offers many volunteer opportunities including puppy raising, dog walking and puppy cuddling. Further, we are always in need of additional funding for our vast array of programs. If you want to know more about the school, contact me for more information.

I'm proud to be a member of a community in which so many give back to keep our community strong.

No comments: